Wednesday, June 1, 2011

New Video, Geek Conceit, and Geek Misogyny: "Nice Guys"


I am going to start using this blog to catalog media reflects the zeitgeist of the rise of the geek. In particular, the themes that concern me are hidden problems with the rise of the geek. I am definitely a geek myself. However, I feel that a key aspect of the rise of the male geek is its unacknowledged misogyny. The male geek rises while trying to pretend that mysoginy only exists in the world of the male jock.

The geek’s core misogynistic conceit is this: Women are too shallow to recognize the good things about the sensitive, true, honest, and long-suffering, non-dominant males. Therefore, women deserve the pain and emotional torture they experience when they are assumed to get it from dominant males.

I will start this catalog with a freshly viral video made by an Asian American male to highlight the fact that, as an Asian American Geek. I am being critical of a culture I am very much a part of and not sniping from the outside. It is a video by Kevin Wu called Nice Guys:

It nicely illustrates the geek conceit I outline above. Here are the lyrics of the chorus:
Nice guys finish last,
That's why I'll treat you like trash,
It's not what I really wanna do.
But, you only date bad guys so,
I'll give it my best try to,
Treat you the way you want me to.


There are some theoretical analyses of the nice guy phenomenon which are critical of its mysoginistic conceit but I will not go into them here just yet. Perhaps in a later blog. I will continue to track the zeitgeist of this sentiment in this blog and tag it geek rage.

A key problem in this conceit is the that it implicitly asserts that Geek=Nice Guy.

2 comments:

  1. Hi - didn't watch the video because I'm at work, I will do so later. As a female geek this is something I'm very interested in

    One thing I've noticed about this phenomenon is that, while deriding the 'shallow fashionista culture' of the women who reject them, these nice guys are hypocritically doing the same to the female geeks they might have something in common with. The top percent of stereotypically 'hot' women (i.e. the female equivalent of the 'jocks') are usually the kind of women the Nice Guys (TM) are interested in.

    And as you say, it's wrong to assume Geek = Nice Guy (TM) and vice versa

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very informative post ! There is a lot of information here that can help any business get started with a successful social networking campaign ! www.salongeek.com

    ReplyDelete